Dear P-WILL members,
We are excited to announce our upcoming conference on (digital) platform work and invite proposals for presentations.
The conference will be held under the auspices of COST Action CA21118 – Platform Work Inclusion Living Lab (P-WILL), on June 21 and 22, 2023, at the Institute of Economic Sciences in Belgrade, Serbia, Zmaj Jovina 12.
Access will be provided via the Zoom platform for all participants who cannot attend the live conference.
Since it represents a relatively new form of work, platform work creates specific challenges for decision-makers in labor legislation, tax, and social policy. At the same time, some practical and theoretical insights indicate that work platforms open opportunities for engagement and income generation of traditionally vulnerable groups that are not available in a traditional work environment. Platform work can benefit countries in transition and developing countries by creating jobs specifically for people who face barriers to employment and/or are vulnerable to exclusion from the traditional labor market, such as young people, women, people with disabilities, sexual and national minorities and people living in remote areas.
The conference aims to stimulate discussion about the challenges of platform work in Serbia and the countries of the region, as well as the possibilities for fairer and more inclusive conditions of engagement in new forms of work.
The conference will gather researchers, professionals, and civil organization representatives to share their knowledge, experiences, and insights about the challenges of platform work in Serbia and the countries of the region, as well as the possibilities for fairer and more inclusive conditions of engagement in new forms of work.
We are looking for engaging, informative, and discussion-provoking presentations on (digital) platform work. We welcome presentations based on your research on a wide range of subjects, including but not limited to:
INCLUSIVE EMPLOYMENT ON (DIGITAL) LABOR PLATFORMS: CAN THEY ASSIST IN SOLVING UNEMPLOYMENT ISSUES?
- The role of (digital) labor platforms in breaking the vicious circle of long-term unemployment.
- People with disabilities and work on digital work platforms as a path to an independent life.
- NEET and (digital) platform work as a chance for first employment.
ENSURING FAIRER COMPETITION IN THE (DIGITAL) LABOR PLATFORMS: CAN WE MITIGATE THE INEQUALITY TRAPS?
- High-skilled professionals versus low-skilled workers: Is working on (digital) labor platforms dignified for all?
- Gender inequality in the field of (digital) platform work: Do the quality of employment and the level of income depend on gender?
- The earnings gap between (digital) platform workers: Why do workers from countries with lower average wages earn less from (digital) platform work than their counterparts in developed countries?
THEY ALL PAY TAXES BUT DO NOT HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS: IS IT POSSIBLE TO EQUALIZE FREELANCERS’ RIGHTS WITH OTHER WORKERS BY CREATING A REGULATORY FRAMEWORK FOR (DIGITAL) PLATFORM WORK?
- Improving working conditions for freelancers: The need to create a regulatory framework for (digital) platform work in the Western Balkans.
- Mom freelancers and discrimination in the Western Balkans: Towards equalizing the working position and rights of female freelancers with those of employed female workers.
We encourage creative and interactive formats of presentations that actively engage participants and promote dialogue and networking.
To submit a proposal, please include the following information:
- Your name, title, organization, bio, and contact information (no more than 150 words)
- A title and a summary of your proposed presentation (no more than 500 words)
Proposals should be submitted by the 20th of May, 2023 at email@example.com. Submissions will be reviewed, and the presenters will be notified by the 25th of May, 2023. Presenters will receive a complimentary registration to the event and recognition as a speaker.
Four full reimbursements will be awarded to authors of selected presentations.
We look forward to hearing from you and creating a dynamic and inspiring program for the upcoming conference.